Upcoming rides I'm leading:
Nothing on the schedule.

Show blog entries about: Upcoming rides | Ride reports | My own training

End of another training season


In October!? Yes, it's the end of the Seismic Challenge 2.0 training season, and I've been proud to help many of you train for this year's ride, which begins two weeks from today in San Francisco.

Each of the nine riders on today's 87-mile ride did fantastic, with everyone riding well above the pace necessary to complete both days of Seismic Challenge. We were helped by remarkably moderate temperatures -- not getting much above 70 degrees if at all -- and winds that didn't really pick up until the last few downhill miles.

I think the most important lesson to take away from today's ride is a lesson that I've talked about before: pacing. We started off today's route with 50 fairly easy miles, and just about everybody rode those 50 miles at an average speed of 15 mph -- way fast by our standards. Toward the end of the day, I could see a few folks slowing down (including me). The trick is to keep some energy on hand to deal with late-day hills and other unexpected events, even when there's a strong temptation to ride all-out on flat terrain. Remember, it's not a race.

I'll see all of you in two weeks on Day 1 of Seismic Challenge. Since you folks are so speedy, I'm sure you'll pass me, so say hi as you call out "on your left." (I'll be wearing my ride leader jersey and the socks. Can't miss me!)

It's been an honor to ride with you, and I commend you for your support of the San Francisco AIDS Foundation.

Photo credit: Susan Fish

No comments: