Upcoming rides I'm leading:
Nothing on the schedule.

Show blog entries about: Upcoming rides | Ride reports | My own training

Happy new year from Lompoc


Is Lompoc like this year-round? This foggy scene on Highway 1 just south of Lompoc is from this morning, but it just as easily could be the beginning of Day 6 of ALC.

I headed out in the chilly 45-degree fog for a 50-mile ride to Solvang and back. Along the way, I linked up with seven members of the Lompoc Valley Bicycle Club, who happened to be riding as far as Buellton on their regular Friday ride. A nice bunch of folks, and they rode at just the right speed for me.

We took Santa Rosa Road to Buellton, which is one of two "Sideways" bicycle tours in the area, so named because the route passes by many locations used in the film "Sideways." Since, alas, I never saw the film, I didn't fully appreciate the references, but the locals are certainly correct when they say what a nice route Santa Rosa Road is. A few hills, but nothing too horribly bad, and almost no traffic.

After reaching Buellton, I continued onward to the tourist trap village of Solvang, which was its typically jam-packed, tourist-filled, bus-heavy self. I'd never ventured off the main highway before, so I did so on my bike today, but yeah, it looks Danish. I'm over it already.

After having authentic Scandinavian lunch at Subway, I started back on the long slog to Lompoc, pleased that the dreaded headwinds hadn't started up yet.

Oops. About halfway back, after crossing one of the three mini-summits on Highway 246, the winds picked up in grand fashion, and my speed (and enjoyment) dropped considerably. But I made it back at an average speed of 13.2 mph for the whole trip, returning via the entrance to River Park, where ALC spends its fifth night every year.

I had been toying with the idea of going for the 100km today (just 12 more miles), but the wind is still increasing, so I'll resist the temptation to get addicted to the "Metric Century a Month Club" this early in the year. Besides, my upcoming training rides are all metrics or greater starting late next month.

No comments: