Upcoming rides I'm leading:
Nothing on the schedule.

Show blog entries about: Upcoming rides | Ride reports | My own training

Learning a new bike

Starting the new training season on a new bicycle? Worried about your performance? Don't fret.

Today, I test-rode our upcoming not-so-gentle ride to Saratoga. Coincidentally, that was the very first ride I took on the new bicycle I bought in June right after ALC7. My total riding time for the 34-mile route that day was 2:40. Today on the exact same route, it was 2:22.

What makes this more interesting is that there is no way possible that I am a stronger cyclist today then I was back in mid-June. I've been riding far less, and I could certainly feel the recent lack of training while slogging my way up Mount Eden today. But overall, I apparently was more confident at moderate speeds on good roads, and the descent down Mount Eden only terrified me somewhat slightly this time. (Back in June, I was so unsure of the new bike that I actually forced myself to stop partway down the hill.)

So, the moral of the story is that there's a long time between now and May 31. Keep a cycling log (always a good idea during training season anyway), and when next May comes around, you may be surprised at the difference.

See you on tomorrow's ride!

No comments: